Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year, New You!?

Happy New Year!

I'm always baffled by the saying "New Year, New You".  What does that mean? How can it be a new me?  It's really my just me with some modifications.

It's the 2nd day of the new year and now that the celebrating is over we all turn to our new year resolutions and get them into action.  How many of you have set the same resolutions year after year?  hmmm,  interesting isn't it that we set the same resolutions year after year but never really get too far with them.

One of my new year's resolution for 2011 was to have a very healthy year and just take care of myself.  So one of the things I did was to really take a look at my diet.  How could I eat well, be satisfied with the food I was eating and not feel deprived.  I noticed that what I enjoyed most was eating raw vegetables so I explored possible ways to get more raw veggies into my diet without always eating carrots, celery, snap peas and a bit of hummus for lunch.  In April I discovered this thing called Raw Food at the yoga conference I was attending.  After some exploring I thought this was it.  A great way to get more raw food into my diet and still experiment in my kitchen and the added benefit... better health!  I enjoyed it so much that I started this blog because I wanted to share it with others.

This year my resolution is not to become a new me but an even healthier me!   Incorporate even more raw food into my diet and start the year helping others explore raw food as well.

So here we are the second day of the new year and some of my yoga students and I are on day 1 of a raw food cleanse.  I know to those of you who are sitting there squirming about that word "cleanse" it really isn't what you think it is (chuckling to myself).  I was in the same boat before trying it myself.  It's 3 days of simple raw food which includes very easy to make salads, great dressings, smoothies, and juices.  The end result, lots of energy, great sleeps and clarity.

Give it a try, I've also included a raw green smoothie below that you can try!  It's my most favourite green smoothy so far.

Happy New Year!


Green Berry Bliss

2 large handfuls of spinach or de-veined kale
1 C fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tsp of coconut oil
1 tbsp of pre-soaked chia seeds (I pre-soak them in my almond milk)
2 C almond milk
dash of vanilla extract

Place all ingredients in your high speed blender and whirl away till smooth!

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment