Friday, November 30, 2012

Kaki~Rediscovering this Amazing Fruit

Kaki

Kaki on the window sill is my first memory of having this fruit as a young girl.  Only available around this time of year, it was a great surprise when my dad would come home with a few in his shopping bag after doing the weekly shop.

Patiently my brother and I would watch and wait each day until that one day that they were ripe and ready to enjoy, raw and in its natural state of pure sweetness!

My dad continued this tradition with my daughters as they were growing up as well.  Bringing back all those memories of my childhood. 

If you are not familiar with the name Kaki, you are most definitely wondering what is it?

Diospyros kaki is a wonderful fruit,  in fact it is actually a berry based on its botanical morphology, known as persimmons.  There are many varieties of this fruit. Some heart shaped (Hachiya persimmon), and others flattened and shaped more similarly to that of a tomato (Jiro persimmon). They can very in tanginess and sweetness depending on the variety due to the amount of tannins present in the fruit.

Simply raw is how I enjoy this fruit each year, loving its sweetness and firm texture allowing myself that moment to savour each bite just as I did as a young child.

Here is another way you can enjoy this wonderful berry with family and friends!

Chocolate Dipped Kaki Slices

Peal and slice kaki to 1/4 thickness and dehydrate until they are fully dried.

Dip 1/4 of the slice in raw chocolate, allow to set.

Jiro Persimmons

Raw Chocolate 
1/4 cup cocoa butter
1/4 cup agave
1/3 cup raw cocoa powder

melt cocoa butter in a double boiler, low heat
add agave slowly and allow to warm completely
add cocoa and mix until smooth and silky

Partially dip dried persimmon slices and allow to cool and set in refrigerator.


















No comments:

Post a Comment