Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Scientist is in the Kitchen

I love experimenting and coming up with new recipes.  Must be the scientist in me. It's been over a year and a half since I last stepped into a research lab. Although I do miss it, at times, I find that I do a lot of research regardless in my own kitchen.

Assay development was my forte so it isn't surprising that I like to play with recipes. The great thing is I get to eat what I make.  Bonus!

Tomorrow is our Spring Walk on the Wild Side.  Yoga, a walk with a master herbalist educating us on the wild organic edibles that are growing in our back yards and their benefits, followed by an array of goodies to try.  Lisa prepares the wild food and I prepare the raw.

Yesterday I made a batch of raw corn tortillas for the workshop to fill with both raw and wild foods.  Of course, I wanted to optimize the protocol (in other words, I changed the recipe to come up with a better tasting wrap).  They turned out great.  Using hemp seeds and an assortment of other nuts along with corn kernels I came up with a spicy corn tortilla for tomorrows workshop.

My focus today was to make a raw dessert.  How do Raw brownie bites sound?

Here is my protocol (scientific term for recipe) for Raw Brownie Bites.

Raw Brownie Bites


1.0 cups of raw almonds
1.0 cups of raw pecans
0.25 cups of raw cocoa
10-12 medjool dates
1 tsp of organic vanilla powder or extract
1 tbsp of raw coconut butter

Pinch of salt
Raw shredded coconut

In a food processor add almonds, pecans, salt, vanilla powder and cocoa and pulse until nuts break down to a coarse meal.

Add dates and vanilla (if using extract) and coconut butter, pulse till blended and sticky enough to form into a ball.
(more dates may be required depending on the size and softness of the dates that you are using)

Form into bite size balls and roll in shredded coconut
or 
press into mini muffin cups forming small bite size morsels and serve drizzled with chocolate-almond sauce (almond butter, cocoa and agave)

Enjoy!





Raw Brownie Bites
Want to eat more raw and don't know where to begin.  Contact the rawfoodyogini@dragonflyyoga.ca today and let me help you get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment