Sunday, July 8, 2012

Yay! More Raw Sprouted Items Now Available!

It's been so hot and humid here, great for sprouting grains easily but unfortunately dehydrating is another issue.  The dehydrator works overtime when the air is so water heavy these days.

Really craving some granola this week my mission was to sprout some grains and then proceed to put them together a combination of dried fruits and spices to make myself a batch of breakfast granola.  I just find that granola sticks to my ribs, just like old fashion oatmeal.

While visiting a friend after our long weekend, we popped into the local whole food store and explored their raw food shelves.  Well, I have to say there wasn't that much that interested me.  The only granola they had was an apple cinnamon flavour...which is okay...but if i'm going to have apples and cinnamon I want the fresh non dehydrated deal!  Dried apples for what ever the reason are not my favourite thing.  Give me a fresh apple any day, but dried...no thanks.  My other choice, which seems to be a big in a lot of health food stores, is a chocolate granola.  Ok, don't get me wrong.  I love chocolate, but not for breakfast, maybe dessert.

Feeling a bit disappointed I proceeded to explore the rest of the store. Looking for inspiration in the isles.  My friends daughter was asking a few questions regarding raw food and also about other items in the store. She was particularly interested in almond milk and what it tasted like.  I was pleased when she decided to give it a try. I told her not to buy the tetra pack version but the fresh kind! Much better tasting and great for smoothies and such.

I'm always looking for raw dry ingredients for various recipes, so off I went into the bulk section...I asked everyone to keep an eye and look for anything raw.  There, to my surprise, wearing a big yellow "NEW" sign was exactly what I was looking for.  Raw sprouted buckwheat! I wouldn't have to worry about sprouting my own to make my granola and I could put a batch together in an instant! A much bigger and pleasant surprise is when my friends husband yells out...hey they have sprouted quinoa here too!  I was in heaven.  My two main ingredients now available in bulk!  YAY! (add some jumping up an down here with a huge grin on my face).

I'm totally loving the fact that more raw sprouted items can be found in local markets!

Raw Food Yogini-Breakfast Granola


No comments:

Post a Comment