Thursday, July 21, 2011

Kohlrabi-interesting root that brings back childhood memories.

On our trip to the market the other day I found kohlrabi! Instantly brought back memories of my childhood, when my dad would harvest them out of the vegetable garden, peel them give them a good wash, slice them up and seve them to both my brother and I as is. They were sweet and very refreshing as a snack and I'm sure very good for us.

Thinking back to my childhood it was very common for our family to eat things raw. My dad not only had and still has a backyard vegetable garden but as long as I can remember has planted most of our vegetables on his small farm. We were fortunate to have fresh vegetables throughout the summer and my mom would make preserves and freeze vegetables so that we would have the throughout the winter months as well. Although our vegtables were cooked throughout the winter months we always taked about eating raw peas, string beans, carrots, kohlrabi and many other veggies as we harvested them throughout the summer.

I'm looking forward to preparing something interesting today with the kohlrabi I brought home from the market. Just have no idea as to what the final dish will be....

No comments:

Post a Comment