Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Raw beet Ravioli-expeirment #1

Yesterday, I explored using beets in raw food recipes.  The toss up was what the heck to do I do with with a beet that is going to taste yummy enough for my hubby to give it a try. Instead of looking up possible recipes I allowed the scientist to come out to play and just like developing an analytical assay in the lab, I decided to develope a recipe instead!

So, I took out my mandoline (you know the device that allows you to make thin slices without slicing your fingers off), my magic bullet (yes I do have one of those, after all this was a test batch so no need to take out the big boy, my vitamix).  I took a look at all the nuts and seeds I had available in my kitchen and went at it.

How frustrating was I when the mandoline sliced beets were way too thick.  No problem I was going to use them anyway.   I marinated the beets with some lemon juice, garlic and a pinch of himalayan salt for several hours (boy did the beets ever taste yummy just after marinading them).

Now the dilema...what the heck do I stuff them with.  Out came out the nuts, seeds and what ever I could put together to make the filling.  I ended up chosing pine nuts and cashews as the base ingredients and built the recipe up from there.

After assembling a few up for my diner,  I had one bite and knew this was it!  The combination of nuts, spices and marinated beets was awesome.  

Now for the true test...called in hubby to give them a try....and.....yes the answer...."these are great"! 

He took half my batch and we dug in!

Yum

Here is a pic of the final product!

No comments:

Post a Comment